BLUG meeting, in person with Peter Linnell
This Thursday, Feb 2nd, at BTC, IN ROOM - CC201,
from 6:30pm til 9pm
"Hands-on Help Time" from 6:30pm til 7pm, BLUG/LFNW & Linux News,
Q&A, and a presentation by Peter Linnell:
"15+ Years with Scribus - Lessons in Sustaining an Open Source Project"
Peter Linnell (a.k.a MrDocs) is a Sr. System Engineer for SUSE. He has
fifteen plus years of experience in open source projects, as a founder,
project leader and most recently a member of the openSUSE Community
Board. Before joining SUSE, he worked in Software Engineering at
Cloudera - the Hadoop Big Data startup in Silicon Valley. Prior to
returning to the US, he spent almost a decade living in Europe in the
UK and France. While in France, he was a project manager at INRIA
(National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Controls)
working on high performance computing, file systems and large scale
systems with 19 academic and industrial partners.
He is a founder and PMC of Apache Bigtop for Hadoop and Apache Stratos
- - Platform as a Service. He is also a founder and Core Team member of
Scribus - the open source page layout application. He is a frequent
presenter at tech conferences around the world.
Peter will discuss and actively ask the audience:
• Does your choice of language/toolkit matter ? Yes, it does.
• Choices for bug tracking/feature requests.
• How to mentor new contrbutors ?
• Is making your software cross-platform important? Yes, it is (and
the session will explain why).
• How to engage your end users ? Very important for long term
• How to collabrate/learn from with other projects ? More important
than you might think.
• What would you do differently ?
• Curating and motivating your existing community.
"Hands-on Help Time"
Starting at 6:30pm, 1/2 hour prior to the regular 7pm start time,
BLUG offers hands-on help for anyone with a Linux issue.
Bring your computer and let the BLUG folks give you a hand.
ROOM CC201, on the 2nd floor of BTC's new Campus Center Building.
Remember this meeting is open to the public, tell your neighbor
and bring a friend!