BLUG meeting Thurs July 2nd at BTC
On Thursday, July 2nd, at BTC, IN ROOM - CC201,
from 6:30pm til 9pm, BLUG will have it's regular
"Hands-on Help Time" from 6:30pm til 7pm, BLUG/LFNW & Linux News,
Q&A, and a presentation by (not JD) Joshua Drake "Debian/kFreeBSD"
"Hands-on Help Time":
Starting at 6:30pm, 1/2 hour prior to the regular 7pm start time,
BLUG offers hands-on help for anyone with a Linux issue.
Bring your computer and let the BLUG folks give you a hand.
By Joshua Drake "Debian/kFreeBSD"
- Why kFreeBSD is good for the ecosystem (competition fuels open
source projects, encourages writing of platform-independent glibc code)
- glibc + GNU userspace = familiar environment for the Linux user,
with the benefit of some cool BSD kernel features
* pf vs iptables (readability, speed+statefulness, extensibility)
* ZFS vs LVM (ZFS send/receive and upgrades, RAID effectiveness)
* jails vs linux solutions like linux containers and UML (one tool
included in the kernel vs a conglomeration of many)
Some other cool kFreeBSD tricks:
- Linux compat layer - Maybe include a demo of a Squeeze i386 Linux
system running in a jail and what this could mean for the future
- Static FreeBSD binaries can run in a kFreeBSD system (useful when
Debian is run within a jail)
A demo / showcase of what jessie-kfreebsd can do already:
- minetest, openarena, and sauerbraten all in the repos and functioning
- WebGL stuff works on IceWeasel (from sid):
ROOM CC201, on the 2nd floor of BTC's new Campus Center Building.
Remember this meeting is open to the public, tell your neighbor
and bring a friend!